With colder weather upon us and a wetter-than-average winter forecast, it’s important that we all understand the protocol for reporting to work in the event of inclement weather. Unlike in years past, we will no longer follow Round Rock ISD in respect to closures. The updated inclement weather reporting policy is included below. If you have any questions, please contact your supervisor for more information.
SECTION 7: INCLEMENT WEATHER
Employees are expected to report for duty at the hour regularly assigned for their workday. If weather conditions are such that personal judgment prevents the employee from coming to work or causes them to be late, the employee should notify the supervisor 30 minutes prior to the start of the work day.
The City will report the closing/reopening of City offices on the City Web site and with local media outlets. Public service employees who normally work weekend hours will follow the department procedure on delays/closures for inclement weather. It is the employee’s responsibility to periodically check to determine if the City offices have closed/reopened and to receive instructions on returning to work.
Absences from Work:
If City offices are open and weather conditions cause employees to lose time, the
supervisor may account for the absence by:
- Authorizing leave time for which the employee is eligible (i.e., vacation); or
- Authorizing leave without pay.
City Offices Closed:
If City offices are closed due to adverse weather conditions:
- Non-emergency services personnel scheduled to work will not report to work, but will be considered as working for pay purposes during the hours City offices were closed.
- Emergency services personnel will be expected to report as scheduled unless otherwise notified by their supervisors.
Emergency Services Personnel:
For purposes of this policy “Emergency Services Personnel” are defined as:
- Police Officers, Firefighters, and Communications Operators who are scheduled to work during the hours City offices are closed due to inclement weather.
- Water Plant Operators who are regularly scheduled to work during the hours City offices are closed due to inclement weather.
- Employees whose regular duties require them to respond to emergency situations in order to take corrective actions and who are regularly scheduled to work during the hours that City offices are closed due to inclement weather.
Emergency Services Personnel reporting to work as scheduled will be paid at their normal rate of pay.
Non-exempt, Non-Emergency Services Personnel who are not scheduled to work during the hours that City offices are closed due to inclement weather, but who are called to report for work during an emergency situation, will receive their normal rate of pay for those hours and will receive overtime pay only for actual hours worked in excess of the normal work week.
Non-Emergency Services Personnel who are not called to report for work during the hours that City offices are closed due to inclement weather, but who report to work anyway, will receive their normal rate of pay for those hours and will receive overtime pay only for actual hours worked in excess of the normal work week.